The mia is committed to promoting sustainability. Concern for the environment and promoting a broader sustainability agenda are integral to the mia’s professional activities and the management of the organisation.
We aim to follow and to promote good sustainability practice, to reduce the environmental impacts of all our activities and to help our Members to do the same.
- To comply with, and exceed where practicable, all applicable legislation, regulations and codes of practice.
- To integrate sustainability considerations into our business decisions.
- To encourage our members to integrate sustainability considerations into their business decisions.
- To ensure that our staff are fully aware of our Sustainability Policy and are committed to implementing and improving it.
- To minimise the impact on sustainability of all office and transportation activities.
- To continually strive to improve our sustainability performance.
The Steps We Take
Travel and meetings
- We travel by train to meetings apart from in exceptional circumstances.
- Where the only practical alternative is to fly, we will include costs for appropriate offsets.
- We efficiently time meetings to avoid multiple trips.
- We reduce the need for our staff to travel by supporting alternative working arrangements, including home working.
Purchase of equipment and consumption of resources
- We Minimise our use of paper and other office consumables and actively reduce waste.
- We use electronic mail and website communications wherever practical and possible.
- As far as possible we arrange for the reuse or recycling of office waste, including paper, computer supplies and redundant equipment.
- We reduce the energy consumption of office equipment by purchasing energy efficient equipment and practice good housekeeping.
- We purchase electricity from a supplier committed to renewable energy.
- We ensure that timber furniture, and any other timber products, are recycled or from well-managed, sustainable sources and are Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified.